Restart Home Network Devices
If you're having trouble connecting your device to a network, you may need to restart your modem and router.
To restart or power cycle your modem and router:
- Unplug the power adapter on your router and modem for several minutes.
- Reconnect power to your modem first.
- When the modem is connected to your Internet service, plug in your router.
- Restart other connected devices after your router and modem have fully restarted.
- A modem is a device that connects your home network to a wider network (Wide Area Network).
- A router connects multiple devices to your Local Area Network (LAN) or a Wi-Fi network.